Saturday, November 12, 2011

Headgear

Back in the day, it was tricky being paid as a ski racer. If you had any designs on skiing for a college team or the Olympics, you could not accept money directly from anyone other than your national governing body, in our case, the U.S. Ski Team. The U.S. Ski Team generates fundraising on its own to cover basic costs for athletes such as cheap, fleabag European hotels and fizzy water at dinner. They did this by selling exclusive sponsorships and all of us wore a uniform with 4 or 5 patches indicating that Reebok was the "official shoe" of the U. S. Ski Team or "Subaru" was the official vehicle. Most of the money generated went to Race entry fees, Coaches salaries, and rental vans to drive athletes and ski bags all over the European continent. None of this money went to the athletes directly and the athletes had a hard time generating income to pay the bills they left at home, like rent and car insurance that they left behind for half the year. If you were winning, raising funds was not difficult, but if you were still climbing the ladder, you had to be creative. Ski companies (and boot companies and binding companies etc.) were able to give equipment, but in doing so, did not have money to give the Athletes unless they were at the top of the list. Athletes could generate funds by doing promotional events for ski shops or participating in events, and any money that an athlete received would be funneled through the U.S. Ski Team and distributed as long as it was a "training expense". However, with the U.S. Ski Team covering the uniform and all the "official" gear, it was difficult to make ends meet when you were an up-and-comer. Then came head gear. The F.I.S. Committee allowed each athlete to rent out approximately 1" X 5" of real estate on their forehead. Companies would pay an athlete to wear their logo for the ski season and in return athletes would get media exposure that would bring that company loads of advertising. It was a win-win.
For me, my hometown ski area, Park City Ski Resort (now Park City Mountain Resort) paid me to wear their name on my helmet and ski hat. I was proud of it. I chased TV cameras and photographers around and tried to have my picture taken as much as possible. I made a complete ass of myself wherever I could as long as I got attention and as long as someone got my picture. I never took it off. I had that logo on everything: ski hats, headbands, baseball caps etc. Wherever I went, I had Park City on my head and everyone knew I was promoting Park City no matter what. Park City sponsored a number of athletes with head gear contracts, but I was the only athlete that was actually FROM Park City. I milked this for all it was worth and gave back whenever I could. I was supremely grateful as the money I received from Park City kept me competitive. It allowed me to pay my rent, keep my car and pay for the gym membership that I needed to train. Ultimately, it helped me buy the house I live in today. Yep, I saved. Headgear was a godsend for me because I was still making my way to the top of the start list in World Cups and I was grateful to make enough to keep me training and racing.

Cancer is not much different from training and racing. It requires knowing your physical limitations, preparation for chemo day and recovery and intense mental focus. And it requires a whole new set of headgear. I have traded in my barrettes, ponytail holders, hairbands and clips for wigs, scarves, baseball caps and winter hats. And Park City is still sponsoring me. My high school friends recently sent me a box filled with wigs, hats, scarves and various ginger based candies and cookies to keep my nausea at bay. The pink wig is my favorite but there is also a blue wig and a purple wig which I will wear often, I am sure. There is also a Jennie Hat. Jennie and I went to school together and ski raced on the Park City Ski Team. She is now known for her very cool ski hats and I am now the proud owner of one. I am very grateful for this box of love as I can just see all of these girls shopping together. I know the stuff that DIDN'T make the box was putting them in fits of laughter in the middle of the store, and probably getting them into all kinds of trouble...The idea of my friends shopping together for me makes me laugh. I wish I could have been there with them. They are a really amazing group of ladies that have put me back on the Park City Gravy Train. I am super grateful for this wonderful home town. It is and always will be where I am from and filled with some of the greatest people I have ever known.
But that's not all. One of my former U.S. Ski Team buddies also sent me a box of headgear. Her husband is a DaKine representative of sorts and inside a box that came in the mail were a whole slew of different style hats. They have come at a perfect time because the weather has recently gotten a little chilly and my head is freezing! It's such a weird sensation to have your entire head exposed to the elements.
I am so grateful for all of the love and kindness being shown to my bald and freezing head and I love the fact that the people looking out for my head (and well-being) are the very people who did so 20 years ago. Now, I just have to figure out how to get the "Park City" patch on the wigs....

No comments:

Post a Comment