Tuesday, December 6, 2016

A New Paradigm

I wish I had perfect news. I wish I could give everyone, working hard for us, the kind of news that everyone deserves. I want everyone to have a happy ending. Right before Christmas, that would be more than convenient. I had really high hopes for a miracle. I knew it would require one. Stage IV Breast Cancer is a chronic disease that doesn't just "go away." Given the fact I am stubborn, can take a pretty good hit, and don't take no for an answer, why would I expect my own cells to be any different?

There is good news to report. I am responding very well to chemo and radiation treatment. The radiation I received in September is still hatving an effect. Most of the lesions in my brain are gone and the ones that remain are much smaller, reduced by half as a matter of fact. My physician explains that sometimes the cancer cells just die and leave behind a non-active mass that remains. Normal organic tissue behaves similarly by leaving a scar. Cancer cells die a little differently because by their own definition, the genetic component that mutates is dysfunctional. They literally refuse to die and grow exponentially into tumors and masses in inconvenient places. So when we actually kill them, It makes sense that instead of disappearing, they just shrivel up and die.  They're just bitter, because they lost, but I get to keep a portion of them as a souvenir.

The lymphadenopathy in my abdomen is gone. The areas surrounding my aorta and my kidneys are clear. There are still some nodes that are active but the overall picture is good. The disease is responding and will continue to respond as I move through the phases of treatment.

So why am I not jumping for joy and posting selfies on Facebook?

It's Cancer still there. I still have this. Portions of my chest have active lymph nodes and my lungs are "fuzzy," which remain unchanged since my last scan. My Doc's not even convinced that what's going on in my lungs is actually cancer but thankfully, does not want to biopsy every little thing he finds in my body (because that might actually kill me). The presumption is that it is a collateral relation to cancer and is being treated that way. It's not worsening but it's also not changing. It might just be something I have to live with. My doctor is optimistic. He's happy with the results. He's so happy that he decided to add three more cycles of chemo.

Three. More. Cycles.

That's 9 more weeks of hell.
"But you're tolerating it so well," He adds.
Technically, this is correct. I am far more capable than most of his other patients who can't keep weight on,  who suffer from severe neuropathy, who can't eat, can't drink, can barely function. Yes, I am tolerating "well," but my standards are far higher. I am spoiled. I want to THRIVE. I want to relieve Marek of all the extra work he's having to do for us. I want the girls to have an actual mother with some credibility and doesn't forget what she told them 5 minutes prior. I don't want to lay in bed in misery every Thursday. However, he is right. I am tolerating "well," which means I have not reached rock bottom. I am still not at the point of rescue. I can still take more poison that will eradicate what currently remains.

And this is also the new paradigm. There is no cure, only treatment, which means that it will never go away. It will never truly be gone. It will always be hiding. I learned that from my friend Spencer who fought Multiple Myeloma for 8+ years. He was always in and out of chemo, in and out of thriving and dying. I know this is probably my reality now and I haven't figured out how to live my life accordingly. We've been in crisis mode since diagnosis and I've had my nose to the grindstone since.

Three. More. Cycles

Marek and I have been trying to plan a "post-chemo" vacation. We both need a break from all this chemo fun, and anticipated we would be done a little sooner. As you know, we roll a little differently. Generally, we go to remote locations and we go for extended periods in third world communities. Now, we have guidelines. My doctor was mortified when I told him we wanted to travel around the Philippines or the South Pacific.
"There's no Tertiary Care Centers there! Things happen. What if you have an emergency?"
I don't think he travels much, which is why he is my oncologist and not my travel agent. But he does know that the likelihood of pneumonia, or blood dyscrasia, or infection of any kind will level me.   Just for giggles, I asked him what could possibly happen. He listed things like Renal Failure, sepsis, Gall Bladder problems, Cancer.... Doomsday. What does he know? I choose denial. I have Cancer. None of that other stuff applies. (Which is total BS. It applies even more. Denial)

Three. More. Cycles. 9. More. Weeks.

I am psychologically wrecked right now. However, I also know that my doctor is right. 3 more cycles will not only increase the efficacy but will also increase my life on this planet. 3 more cycles means Christmas on chemo and an endpoint of February 21st. 3 more cycles means 2 ½ more months of side effects. It also means life... after 3 more cycles. My fear is I will be coaxed into 3 more cycles forever and die bald, sick, grumpy, and unpleasant. Living life far outweighs anybody else's version of survival. I'm not going to win any medals simply surviving. Quality of living and surviving must be mutually aligned. 3 more cycles it is because my doc gets it. He knows I refuse to fade away. I think he knows my limits and since I'm "tolerating well," he's going to push me.

My scans are good. I am beating it back. Slowly.  I just have to get through 3 more cycles. I'm afraid I'm going to need a little help from my friends on this one. Nothing new. Just everything you've been doing. I promise not to quit if you don't. Thank you in advance.

28 comments:

  1. Fuck fuck fuck fuckity fuck fuck fuck. I am so sorry. I don't want to give you any advice but I will say that integrative therapies have helped my husband a lot. I hope you are getting some of that. Mostly I hope you are getting some excellent quality of life between poison shots and continuing to live your life on your badass terms. If there is anything I can do for you let me know darlin, otherwise I am sending you all the love I can spare. xoxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura. Actually, no integrative yet. Feeling like I need that after. Hunkering down to enhance recovery without too much intervention, but massages do help. It's a period of time and nothing more. chemo will end shortly and things will change again. It's the uncertainty that makes it tricky.

      Delete
  2. Fighting to thrive... You say it so well. Every time I think of you, all positivity goes your way. You are a light that burns bright and will keep shining. We will keep fighting with you... Xo Amber and fam bam

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are all here for you-- lean on us for anything you need! We all love you and will continue to support you and the family and send our positive energy through the cosmos to you! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love you Tori �� You are strong, you are a fighter, you are funny, you are so damn level headed, You are an inspiration, I am so proud of you. I hope I make it onto the Toxic Tuesday ride program this round.;) xoxojen

    ReplyDelete
  5. UUUUUUGGGgghhh. Glad it is shrinking, but so Sorry you and the family have to keep enduring chemo tx. Keep on kicking ass.
    love to u all- anything we can do of course... here in whatever aspect we can help. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet, sweet, beautiful Tori...I was elated to read that you are beating this fucked up thing called cancer. Tears formed in my eyes and my heart picked up it's beat. But I'm also very aware of what chemo does to a person. I'm so very sorry that you must endure 3 more cycles; but I continue to pray that those 3 cycles kick Satan out for good. I am here for you and your family. Please let me know what I can do. I still have faith and "a feeling" that you will beat this thing and have many, many more years with all the amazing people who love you. In the meantime, #livelikeTori, because you do it best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big hearts and thanks. I'm the only one that can do the poison, but friendship makes it sooooo much easier. Thank you for the support and kindness and worry not that this too shall pass. For all of us

      Delete
  7. Oh, Tori. To stay so strong while so "psychologically wrecked" is the most difficult "game" you will ever engage in. If anyone can thrive under these conditions it is you. You are made of the stuff that holds the earth together and spins the comets across the universe. You are a star! I love you. Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you too Alice. Thanks for keeping me going through all of my trials and tribulations!

      Delete
  8. Tori,
    Our prayers remain with you for full healing and peace during this next phase. That your body will respond strong and give you some respite from the sickness while it heals at the same time. Thank you for your candid words and know we are all here for you anyway we can. Glenn and Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feeling it tremendously Doyle group. Love you all so much and so grateful for the constant contact. Makes the world of difference when you feel just a little transparent. Hugs to you all and hopefully will see you soon!

      Delete
  9. Tori, you are amazing! You inspire all of us with your fight, your insight, and your strength. The gift is life. The cost is exhaustion now and amazing adventure soon. On those days when it all feels it is crashing down, let the waves wash over you as you find rest and recovery. Allow them to drift you into the next phase that will soon bring giggles, outdoors, and sunshine. You have it in you! We all see it! Let us help where we can, don't shoulder it all on your own. You've got this, courageous Tori! You've got this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Something crazy adventurous near first world hospitals... I'm thinking and will get back to you soon!

    {Friend of Kathy A}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How about Puerto Rico? Still close to home, a US territory, some adventure... https://www.tripadvisor.com/Guide-g147320-k1318-San_Juan_Puerto_Rico.html

      Delete
    2. Puerto Rico sounds good. Belize is possible but pushing it. Bahamas? Keep those suggestions coming!

      Delete
  11. I keep you in my prayers....Strength, hope and lots of love being sent your way....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such an inspiration of hope, light, and endurance. I am amazed at how resilient you are being as you continue to endure and kick cancers ass. How do I get a shirt? The message would be an honor to wear!Love, prayers and tons of positive mojo to you and yours Tori!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn. T-shirt thing was fundraiser we did back in November. If we do another, I'll forward you the link. And thanks again for the kind words and wishes.

      Delete
  13. If I could give you my everyday life, it still would not be yours. If I could give you my sanity and psychological well being, it still would not be yours. If I could give you my strength, it would still not be yours. I will give you my prayers and happy thoughts and always, always my friendship. I think about you every day and now you can think about you every day. Every minute of the hours, days and yes three more rounds are yours, but love your family like you always do and cherish their love. I may not be close to you and have not been able to travel much, but i think about you every day. Forgo the pity and LIVE in your heart mind and soul and sleep well when needed. ITS OK. Even on your bad days you are still strong in your soul. Love Di

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diann. That is a lovely post and I am so grateful for words such as these. I've moved on from pity and am back to taking care of the business of recovery. Wishing you a happy wonderful life wherever you are. I'm sure our paths will cross again soon. :)

      Delete
  14. Just read this Tori! Girl...you are helping all women who will get BC and who will need treatment and a cure...you bring it all home! Three more-get it done! I love you. ��

    ReplyDelete